Monday, June 29, 2009

Music Again

The last days there is a great debate in Greece regarding the following remake



of the famous song of Mr. Mikis Thodorakis and Mr. Giannis Ritsos Otan Simanoun Oi Kampanes. The band is named Blue, and is quite popular among young people in Greece. The new version has been made with Mikis Thodorakis permission. The original version is available here:



where a very interesting performance of the same song can be found here:



Please note how the audience dances and signs; magnificent.

The debate now is focused on whether such important and prestigious songs need any such remakes. My opinion is that music always seek new contributions and new interpratations of old meanings and works. Therefore the remake in advance, as an action, is not against of any rule of music. Of course this does not mean that we should force our selves to love any remake because is using modern electronic tunes and sounds.

To be honest, I did not dislike the remake, but I do believe that the tune fails somehow to reflect song's history and lyrics. The music is modern, but is open to question if matches with the song and many times sounds very predictable. But anyway, because I strongly hate misery, I am open for new sounds and experiments. Therefore, I am not declining it already.

I hope that there are more remakes to come.

I am interested to hear your comments and very soon I will present you more remakes of famous Greek sounds.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories